There’s no doubt that 2020 & 2021 saw one of the biggest booms in all things ‘outdoors’, not just SUP. Sadly, there were a lot of cheaper boards created that will heavily impact the brands that have worked hard for many years in building what are ‘brands that care’ for their buyers.
More important is the impact on the planet and what happens to the unusable/unsellable SUPs. We can only hope that there won’t be too many of these and that these SUPs will go on to live a happy life.
As FatStick we have had a serious journey over the last 36 months which has seen us;
- remove single use plastic from our inflatable packages including the supply chain
- link up with some incredible charities – One Wave, Access Adventures, 2 Minute Foundation and the Final Straw Foundation
- create recycled plastic deck skateboards
- be the first brand to offer a quick release waste belt as standard
- change our clothing to make it as ethical as possible
- provide a window into the backend of the brand and show you our factories and how your boards are created
- providing an IGTV channel that is for the family to aid mental heath through lockdown
All this and so much more, yet we’re not finished. We still have a long way to go when it comes to our sustainability – but we will get there and we will make changes.
There are brands that make lots of noises about their ethics and sustainability journey, but the words are simple ‘Trumpisms’ – basically, they cannot be and aren’t usually aren’t checked, but once said, they’re out there and the claims, although baseless, help sales.
But that’s what it’s all about, right?
Cash is important, of course it is, but not for filling pockets! Cash and funds help us create new project, get involved with others and ultimately, have links with amazing people like you guys…our Fam!
To focus on income and profit is short sighted and a very finite mindset. We have a bigger picture that we focus on and 2022 will test us in a very big way.
Sales will drop, second hand boards will become available and some poor boards will be left to gather dust, however, we plan to change this!
We started our new IGTV Series called ‘How2 Travel With Your SUP‘. We aim to help you with all the little travel SUP hacks that we have learned, and also, hear the things you do to help you when you travel with your boards.
So keep an eye on the channel, keep the pictures coming and if you have any great little SUP hacks and tips, get involved!